dave chappelle's transphobia

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Real Real Real » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:17 pm

im a straight white guy who just finished this after pausing it a week or so ago and being high and forgetting i was watching it and i really only know about the term TERF as applied to JK Rowling and by god am i ready for some discourse.

Real Real Real

Postby Althea » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:27 pm

Dennis Moore wrote:
petrichor wrote:at the end of the day i would earnestly talk about these things with dave chappelle (or, rather, someone that expressed similar ideas to those espoused in The Closer) than the (many) people (self-id'd "allies") i've known that's memorized all of the correct terminology and mapped out roughly what to say and then has ended up using those things toward various nefarious ends. i could, in the former case, actually imagine having a conversation where two people learn something from whereas in the latter it just turns into an endless hall of mirrors that you lose sight of yourself in once any disagreement is reached.

That doesn't make it ok though, it just means one person's being open with how much they hate you. At best you've got a Republican/Democrat situation where one side occasionally pretends to care, but they're both using trans people for political points while still doing heinous shit to us either way. And I don't think Chappelle is likely to learn from us, he's been making tens of millions of dollars doing this for six years, and when people have tried to educate him they've wound up attacked in his next routine. I don't think it's up to black people to sit down with every cop in the your country and have an honest debate with them either.

Althea

Postby Althea » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Real Real Real wrote:im a straight white guy who just finished this after pausing it a week or so ago and being high and forgetting i was watching it and i really only know about the term TERF as applied to JK Rowling and by god am i ready for some discourse.

Maybe we could make a thread in sensitive topics where cis people can educate each other about this stuff and have whatever discourse they want (tone sincere)

Althea

Postby Skerple » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Althea wrote:The quip comment was badly timed coming right after serious posts by the two of you. I guess I just wanted the perspective in the thread of someone who feels hurt by this stuff and has a hard time letting it run off my back. I get that you feeling differently is partly or entirely because of a lot of hard shit that I haven't been through and I respect that. I've been out just over two years now and I do find some of the new trans energy waning, in a good way sometimes, like I just wanna live and am occasionally not interested in thinking about this stuff 24/7 anymore.

dawg the last thing you need to do is apologize to anyone. the way some of these posts are written, it does seem like the only thing to do is be like "oh oops I'm dumb for caring about this" but it's not.
Me, I'm fine because the Bordeaux fun fair is setting up and I find the fairground people. Welcome in my world:

Skerple

Postby Skerple » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:54 pm

every take is just a take, nobody needs to apologize for feeling what they feel.
Me, I'm fine because the Bordeaux fun fair is setting up and I find the fairground people. Welcome in my world:

Skerple

Postby auspice » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:55 pm

pashmina wrote:if i'm gonna quip (this isn't a quip, just an angry statement of true facts stated) it's gonna be that Nanette fucking sucked and I don't care if she sticks up for anyone, her special was garbage and she has less to say about the world than Dave does

Nanette is very much one big bait-and-switch of a comedy special but I think it has valuable insight in it, particularly the way in which we view powerful men and ignore the fucked up things they say/do (referring to the bit she does about Picasso).

I think the best element of it, which is something I noticed really moved a lot of people who particularly liked Nanette, was how she talked about the function of self-deprecation in comedy and how in her case, she had to let it go because she realized her application of it was only ever as a means of putting herself down in order to make others around her feel uncomfortable. In the The Closer when Chappelle starts doing the long bit about Daphne, I couldn't help but notice how the things he liked about her revolved around her own ability to be self-deprecating, i.e. when he mentions that the big laugh she got from everyone after her standup set was in reference to her acknowledging her genitalia. Obviously I don't really know much about what she was like, nor does anyone really (including Dave), but from what little he described about her it seems like she was someone willing to make jokes at her own expense in order to fit in with the comedy scene and gain Dave's respect and it honestly made me think a lot about what Gadsby was getting at in Nanette.

Anyway, Douglas is a far better special and the way she utilizes and explains her thought process as an autistic person to make jokes is genuinely impressive. I don't think the sun shines out her ass or anything like that but Gadsby is really compelling and a breath of fresh air given how unbearable most comics are these days.
We can't stop here -- this is Night Country!

auspice

Postby auspice » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 pm

anyway I think the fact that Dave seems to have only ever known one trans person and proceeded to immediately tokenize her and praise her for the virtue of enjoying his comedy and not getting mad at jokes says everything you need to know about what he thinks of trans people.

I enjoyed Sticks & Stones for the most part since it's still an actual comedy special instead of whatever The Closer is supposed to be, but I can't help but dwell on his bit about the LGBT car and how he implies the whole movement for acceptance is being dragged down "by the Ts." then he has the balls to bring up Stonewall in The Closer and conveniently leave out the fact that Stonewall as led predominantly by Black transwomen, instead preferring to talk about "Stonewall Gays" and how he likes them best because they were sex freaks or so he thinks. He then goes on and on about glory holes - places synonymous with men hiding their identities, because that makes Dave far more comfortable than queers simply participating in society as anyone else would.

It still bothers me that The Closer opens with a genuinely insightful note on the racial disparity between the advancement of equality for Black people vs the queer community and then he just completely abandons all of the available nuance and material there for his "Me and my rich friends are better than you" bullshit. I still can't believe he looks at what happened to DaBaby and Kevin Hart as "punching down," it's insane.

also really fucking wish there was one journalist covering this who would bring up the hypocrisy of Ted Sarandos going out of his way to accommodate Dave when he was crying his eyes out about Chappelles Show being on Netflix without him getting a cut of the licensing fees. There was zero legal basis, and by their own words was done purely out of "moral obligation" because Dave felt really really sad about not being richer. That's such a perfect angle to just dive in on Netflix and how their handling of the walkouts/protests shows they don't give a shit about anything, but Netflix is Netflix so none of the media pubs are gonna for the jugular that way because ad revenue from Netflix pays a lot of media corp bills.

auspice

Postby auspice » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:08 pm

also don't feel bad about serious posts if you feel compelled to make them althea, they're very much welcome.

auspice

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:19 pm

honestly i don't think i can evaluate Nanette outside of the breathless internet takes about it
it might be better than i thought it was. it probably is better. but when it came out the breathless thinkpieces about it redefining comedy and social commentary and then i watched it and it just kind of was there and I didn't laugh and

like as i'm typing this i think it oddly applies to stuff like the closer
i kind of hate Luddites and all but the internet kind of ruins stuff to where it's either perfect or a disaster and in stand-up comedy a single line can seem to push a routine in either direction

does that make sense? i'm not well thought out, like i'm posting on a board which is steps below even a fucking medium essay and i'm not totally sure i have a genuine point but i kind of feel like nothing can be "just ok" anymore, it can only be insanely offensive and make everyone angry or it can be "wow this is so progressive and advancing the art form!" and like just int his medium i would really like stuff to just be funny

i think hedberg was the most pure stand up because it was just nonstop jokes that you'd have to be an asshole to get politics out of it
rip mitch

- Aeris, who is just thinking out loud (otherwise known as posting) and genuinely doesn't know if she's contributing to the actual conversation
We used to decide which dicks were hipinion dicks and which ones were craigslist dicks on this board.

hideaki anno's cool world
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby auspice » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:24 pm

pashmina wrote:honestly i don't think i can evaluate Nanette outside of the breathless internet takes about it
it might be better than i thought it was. it probably is better. but when it came out the breathless thinkpieces about it redefining comedy and social commentary and then i watched it and it just kind of was there and I didn't laugh and

like as i'm typing this i think it oddly applies to stuff like the closer
i kind of hate Luddites and all but the internet kind of ruins stuff to where it's either perfect or a disaster and in stand-up comedy a single line can seem to push a routine in either direction

does that make sense? i'm not well thought out, like i'm posting on a board which is steps below even a fucking medium essay and i'm not totally sure i have a genuine point but i kind of feel like nothing can be "just ok" anymore, it can only be insanely offensive and make everyone angry or it can be "wow this is so progressive and advancing the art form!" and like just int his medium i would really like stuff to just be funny

i think hedberg was the most pure stand up because it was just nonstop jokes that you'd have to be an asshole to get politics out of it
rip mitch

- Aeris, who is just thinking out loud (otherwise known as posting) and genuinely doesn't know if she's contributing to the actual conversation

oh the ***discourse*** over Nanette was atrocious, particularly from people who have zero actual interest in standup and only watched it because it was on Netflix. I went into it at the time wanting to hate it for that reason but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't preachy at all and pretty analytical about the good and bad functions of comedy and what it tends to reinforce.

while you're at it aeris you should change the password to the pashmina account so it's just you and you only before all hell breaks loose again

auspice

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:57 pm

I think i felt more ok abt nanette than others bc i was playing wow while i was watching it and having a p good time in stranglethorn vale
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:58 pm

I forget the comics name tho
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Hanna something?

alaska

Postby Ghost of Spartacus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:59 pm

finally watching The Closer. As others have noted, the main problem is it just isn’t very funny. Secondary to that is that his lack of cleverness means he relies on stereotypes that only bigots still use

Ghost of Spartacus

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Sorry I'm quipping now too lol

I just try to assume stuff is bad and disappointing and that the media will talk abt it in a worse and more disappointing way while also remembering that according to polling data the majority of americans dont in fact hate trans people. Then i avoid mass cultural Events and try not to think abt them
Last edited by alaska on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alaska

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm

New Improved Alaska wrote:wow

wow!
We used to decide which dicks were hipinion dicks and which ones were craigslist dicks on this board.

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Ghost of Spartacus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm

Also, I thought Nanette was fantastic until the end. And it was the end that everyone else thought was brilliant.

Ghost of Spartacus

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm

oh god of course you apologize for quips ahoy as soon as i do that

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm

pashmina wrote:
New Improved Alaska wrote:wow

wow!

W🅾️W

alaska

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:04 pm

pashmina wrote:oh god of course you apologize for quips ahoy as soon as i do that

Quips Ahoy!!!!

alaska

Sailing the Sea of Quips

alaska

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:04 pm

Ghost of Spartacus wrote:Also, I thought Nanette was fantastic until the end. And it was the end that everyone else thought was brilliant.

*cuts out tongue*

I LOVE CATS!!!

Sorry for making so many tasteless SQUIPS!

alaska

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm

to be honest if i turn this into a Nanette hate thread I will feel so much better than if it stays a David LaChappelle terf thread
...maybe I am a t2t misogynist

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm

The Great Gadsby - F. Scott

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:09 pm

people think stuff changes but like the top American writer like 100 years ago called himself "F. Scott"

it really is a fucking hamster wheel

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 pm

this is me not drinking and taking my meds (ok it's only one day so far but what are these...posts....)

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby hideaki anno's cool world » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:12 pm

auspice wrote:
while you're at it aeris you should change the password to the pashmina account so it's just you and you only before all hell breaks loose again

No.

I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Skerple » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 pm

well why don't you just use an account of your own so you don't have to sign your posts

Skerple

Postby Skerple » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 pm

there's reason mudd stopped posting and it's because doing his little m. signature was too strenuous

Skerple

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley