STAR WARS Films &TV: Lose Limbs, Don't Cross Them

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Bad Craziness

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:49 pm

due to life business lately i haven't been able to watch the 2 newest mandos and I AM MAD ABOUT IT
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:51 am

I really liked the latest episode

but

between this and TROS it seems like the Disney Star Wars Story Council has come to a final consensus that The Force™ is a purely genetic phenomenon, which to me insults the mystical angle of interpretation

the broom handle moment at the end of TLJ was corny, but it felt like Johnson’s attempt to rebel against that concept

but at this point I would not be surprised if some fucking tv show 3 years from now picks up that kid’s story and suddenly it turns out he’s actually descended from the guy with the anthill head in PT and ! hold on, we gotta put him in the Midichlorian CAT scanner machine before we allow the audience to accept the fact that he has a connection to The Force™
Toggle Spoiler

Bad Craziness

Postby jubjub » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:56 am

Hard agree

jubjub

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 am

there are a handful of pretty significant and influential families in sports... politics... entertainment

but that doesn’t mean that being a player, coach, politician, actor, or director is inherently genetic
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:03 am

wait, also Finn is clearly force sensitive in TROS, wut
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Poptone » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 am

I very deeply and sincerely can’t wait for my annual viewing of the Holiday Special

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:16 am

right but the fact that they clearly undercut Rian’s plan to make Rey an actual nobody combined with the fact that the Overstory of Mandalorian is veering towards the Blood Angle as a central plot point makes it feel like there was some kind of memo circulated at Lucasfilm™ : Now A Disney® Property to communicate the decision that all major plotlines re: The Force™ must focus on genetic inheritance, and not the mysterious ways of a mystical energy that is fundamentally beyond the apprehension of scientific inquiry

Bad Craziness

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:28 am

When the *visible internet fan base* spend 85% of their time trying to delve into and rationalise the technology and culture of the Star Wars world and document it in the wookieepedian manner and debate it in the redditorian manner well..
I guess Disney by explaining these things with all this stupid Lore and exposition is really giving the Fans, or in my view, the puds who can’t suspend disbelief or accept the mystery.. exactly what they want
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:47 am

I just have nothing nice I can possibly say in this thread

so I’ll maybe stick to my obsessive LOTR fandom instead
Last edited by Bisexual Lightning on Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:49 am

edit: nothing nice...

Bisexual Lightning

Postby shacky » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm

i don't think there's been any midichlorian mandate at lucasfilm. it was out of confused desperation that tros used every conceivable fan theory, even the ones that contradicted the other ones, so i wouldn't read too much into rey palps.

likewise i prefer they hadn't gone the blood route here but the rate at which they're proceeding with those plot details imo indicates an awareness on favreau's part that they're mostly useless, the answers irrelevant relative to the mystery, it being just a framework for the real stories. they're just drip feeding lore to keep the dorks chattering about their theories, easter eggs and ~connective tissue~ (like fucking lol at the people who seriously think they're going to get into snoke's origins now) but i imagine if anything this is going to try and "rehabilitate" the midi concept (filoni loves to take lucas' garbage ideas and both validate but make them slightly less garbage, for some reason) by rejecting the idea that the force can be merely transfused with tech and going with some True Heroic Spirit trope. it would parallel the It's Not The Armour That Makes The Man path that they seem to be sending mando down by questioning his religious dogma/expanding his spiritual horizons.

favreau seems a pretty steady hand with good storytelling instincts and understanding of what makes this show popular among the masses who disney presumably don't want to alienate with mumbo jumbo.

or maybe asohka will talk for a long time about the clone wars and anakin and have two lightsabers and do a bunch of triple flubber flips and fuck up a whole legion of cylons with her sick force powers and ruin the whole show idk

shacky

Postby shacky » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:24 pm

the latest ep felt like it was directed by someone who hasn't really bothered to watch much star wars since 1977. with dialogue that could have come from georgie himself. and it was fantastic.

shacky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:34 pm

I for one was 100% for Rian's rejection of the Divine Right of Kings.

I'm just not convinced that using midichlorians is really that bad in 2020. It doesn't adequately explain the Force and it was one of the most Forced-exposition scenes in cinematic history but if we have to explain why some Force users (Yoda, Sheev) are more powerful, why not?

Why wouldn't Gideon try to find a being known for his Force prowess? I'd love Gideon to find some DNA trove from a routine medical exam Yoda did and Sheev paid the doctor to give him the blood ha ha ha.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 pm

I might as well complain about anyone in Star Wars at this point not sweeping their spaceship for tracers after getting the oil changed, since it happens over and over again

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:45 pm

His name is Steve

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:50 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:His name is Steve

Well, if you go back to Lucas' wife's original sticky notes from American Graffiti, it's "Frank".

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Frankie Palpatonio

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 pm

finally watched the episode with i assume clone wars/rebels mandalorian characters. i liked the docks stuff but their stuff was the most iffy this show has been. her line like "find ashoka tano and tell her gooba geebo sent you" or whatever just felt so OFF. same with the mandalorian chick's action dialogue, like my wife and i both noticed it being weird that she says "on it!" or whatever, though mayeb that's more the acting.

another weird style guide thing, it felt really weird seeing imperial (remnant?) officials with american accents. mayyybe the OT had a couple but i'm not thinking of any, and the cyanide capsule dude just felt a little low-rent or fake or something.

anyways still dig it and the impression i've gotten is that the next episode is a step up so whatev

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Bad Craziness » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Lucas said that he only came up with midichlorians as a way to allow qui-gon to quickly and efficiently indicate that a anakin had more force power than the best Jedi masters

aka it’s hacky bullshit

Bad Craziness

Postby surly » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:29 pm

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

you can't just say shit like that about Amazon Prime's BOSCH
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby kirito » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Bad Craziness wrote:Lucas said that he only came up with midichlorians as a way to allow qui-gon to quickly and efficiently indicate that a anakin had more force power than the best Jedi masters

aka it’s hacky bullshit

IT’S OVER 9000
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby tarantula » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 pm

i'm enjoying the mandalorian but can't help but compare it to the 80's prime time action tv series the a-team

oppressed outsiders show up in a new town each week and solve tyrannical problems despite odds

there's a weird lo/hi going on w/ it in my mind that i enjoy

tarantula

Postby inmate » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:13 pm

just rewatched the last jedi for the first time since the theater. still the best star war

inmate

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:36 pm

that new one was a blast and way better than the last one imo.

might fire up TIE Fighter and Battlefront some this weekend

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 am

tarantula wrote:i'm enjoying the mandalorian but can't help but compare it to the 80's prime time action tv series the a-team

oppressed outsiders show up in a new town each week and solve tyrannical problems despite odds

there's a weird lo/hi going on w/ it in my mind that i enjoy

Absolutely

It’s total junk food and “lore” does not make something deep
But it’s fun, very very nice looking trash

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:43 am

Holy shit how had I not seen this before

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby jubjub » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:46 am

Best episode

jubjub