STAR WARS Films &TV: Lose Limbs, Don't Cross Them

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby kirito » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 pm

i liked tlj when it came out and still like parts of it but it’s interesting how much worse it is knowing that it’s completely inconsequential and meaningless
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby kirito » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:16 pm

it’s good to make a movie about the lessons learned from failure. it’s not good to make a movie in which none of the characters do anything that matters.
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby speakers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 am

kirito wrote:it’s good to make a movie about the lessons learned from failure. it’s not good to make a movie in which none of the characters do anything that matters.

perhaps that was their greatest failure

speakers

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:38 am

surly wrote:just a reminder that tlj is a perfect movie

And you were taken aback when called Warren a COINTELPRO operative. But geez, this is a way more absurd and trolling thing to say.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby surly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am

its perfect and i've said so for years
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby A-Ok » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 am

surly wrote:its perfect and i've said so for years

Using the cutesy definition of anything completed is perfect because it can't be improved upon I guess. But just know your wording gives the false impression this movie is good or entertaining. It's rarely either.
what you say goes and your sight beats everyone elses.

A-Ok

Postby Lowercase Tea » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Nah, I think surly is still right with that definition.
Lowercase Tea

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:00 pm

I like it when luke drinks the green milk

Actually all the sequels are probably best when the actors are having fun
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm

I twice tried watching TROS on Disney+ and couldn't do it.

What a waste of a great cast.

TLJ is the best SW film since the OT but I completely agree it seems pointless after TROS and the sequel trilogy in general accomplishes nothing.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I think TROS is significantly better than TLJ. TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie, period.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby surly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

So the thing about that is you are wrong

surly
the insult bastard

Postby hbb » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

It’s DIVISIVE

(SPL is correct though)Toggle Spoiler

hbb

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm

The Laura Dern arc is so mind numbingly stupid. As is all the time on canto blight. The film wasn’t rendered pointless because of TROS, it rendered itself useless. Every scene in the film is meaningless and unclimatic.

Patchouli Jim

Postby Drinky » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm

virtuous wrote:This is definitely worse than phantom menace and revenge of the sith

How long has it been since you've seen those movies?

Drinky

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Infact, I feel TROS sorta saves face for TLJ a little by explaining smoke is a clone, which makes his boring death feel a little less cheap some how.

Patchouli Jim

Postby hbb » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Oh, I get it! You’re watching it wrong.

hbb

Postby virtuous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:I think TROS is significantly better than TLJ. TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie, period.

Insane take
virtuous

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm

How can I be watching it wrong. How can you see the entire Laura Dern let them blow up every ship and then light speed into the other ship and not think that is one of the stupidest pay offs in a sci fi film. Why didn’t she just do it from the start?

Patchouli Jim

Postby virtuous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Drinky wrote:
virtuous wrote:This is definitely worse than phantom menace and revenge of the sith

How long has it been since you've seen those movies?

Last year. They’re awful (and clones is easily the worst) but TROS is in the discussion. That movie was abysmal.
virtuous

Postby Drinky » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Fair enough. I rewatched them all pretty recently and decided that it was pointless to try to pick a worst out of the three. It's just one long terrible movie in 3 parts.

TROS is a dumb movie, but I've managed to watch it twice. I didn't have any trouble sitting through the whole thing either time, but in 10 or so years I may feel differently.

Drinky

Postby virtuous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Spooky Jim I know you’re wrong because I’ve never seen hbb actually call someone out like he just did to you.
virtuous

Postby speakers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:How can I be watching it wrong. How can you see the entire Laura Dern let them blow up every ship and then light speed into the other ship and not think that is one of the stupidest pay offs in a sci fi film. Why didn’t she just do it from the start?

you mean sacrifice herself and everyone on board as a first option?

speakers

Postby board ghost » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm

the less time you spend thinking about any sort of extra-textual implications of weaponizing hyperdrive the better
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby surly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 pm

how often are nef and i aligned on anything

our cause is righteous

surly
the insult bastard

Postby rixx » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:57 pm

I think i enjoy phantom menace more than TROS, it’s somehow less dumb and has podracing and maul

rixx

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm

the TROS hate is such a bullshit self affirming circle jerk, just like the TLJ hate was

Carrie died y’all, the franchise was over at that point

they did what they could

and Duel of the Fates would have been such hot garbage
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby surly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 pm

the stitched together carrie performance is like the least bad thing about TROS though

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 pm

really the whole sequel trilogy was pointless without a meaningful Leia payoff, and I don’t know that it really would have been salvageable with one

which is why I don’t hate TROS, I find it sweet and affirming, and more entertaining than TLJ, which sure, tried to say something, but... I’m not really sure that it did

Cantobite and the fucking horse creatures were so stupid and pointless.. BB-8 in an AT-ST was the lamest thing of the entire trilogy, it may as well have been a direct reference to the crappiness of the prequels, and Phasma was the worst character with the lamest story of the entire trilogy
Last edited by Bisexual Lightning on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby i am rich » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:16 pm

im sure this has been said before but they shoulda just had a story arc set before they started...
Eventsrova wrote:[b][size=14]Discover a World of farts

i am rich

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 pm

surly wrote:the stitched together carrie performance is like the least bad thing about TROS though

yea but the necessity of doing that really limited the plot of the whole thing is my point

it could have been a sick Star Wars action movie for the collective Bros of the multiverse with badass lightsaber duels on Coruscant (lol that would have actually been prequel redux, it’s hilarious that people pine for this version) or it could have had the heart and soul of the entire thing and been limited in narrative scope like TROS was

but let’s not pretend that the entire sequel trilogy was anything but half baked remakes of each of the original trilogy

Bisexual Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley