Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby k_uger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:19 pm

i am rich wrote:im sure this has been said before but they shoulda just had a story arc set before they started...
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby badhat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:23 pm

i get the counter-argument that that rarely happens (and didnt for the OT), but in this case, it really could/should have. like, it would have been relatively easy in fact.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:46 am

speakers wrote:
Spooky Jim wrote:How can I be watching it wrong. How can you see the entire Laura Dern let them blow up every ship and then light speed into the other ship and not think that is one of the stupidest pay offs in a sci fi film. Why didn’t she just do it from the start?

you mean sacrifice herself and everyone on board as a first option?

No, just disperse everyone to other ships and she just sacrifice herself immediately since that was her plan all along. Why drag it out until every ship in the rebel fleet is destroyed? It is a cheap and meaningless way to raise the stakes. My annoyance is less about the weaponizing of hyper drive and more about how the movie is structured around a situation that is elaborated on for no justifiable reason.
It is the same thing with the Canto Blight arc which in the end is pointless, and I don’t exactly remembered how it unfolds but that DJ helps them escape but also turns out to be a spy, but why even bother to do this stupid spy scenario? And in the end, their entire trip to canto blight is rendered narratively pointless by what occurs else where in the film.

All the prequels and sequels are dumb, but when I think of TLJ I just think of everything about it that I disliked- which was everything. I left the theater not know why any of it happened, because everything in it felt completely inconsequential and pointless, and stitched together so haphazardly. In the end it is like, whatever, stupid films I don’t really care if you like them or not. But I’d like to understand why any of you enjoyed it. Because to me TLJ makes no sense, isn’t fun, and was just frustrating to watch as a movie.

I saw TROS on a plane at the end of July. I didn’t love it, and even though I saw it more recently than TLJ I kinda remember it less. I made a long post about what I enjoyed about it in early August. I still think it was a dumb film, but it atleast had some inklings of what I felt were what could have been the best ideas for the sequels had they made any effort to make a coherent series from the start. To me, the tone and feeling felt the most in line with the OT of all the sequels.

I mean all this shit is dumb and subjective anyways. If you enjoyed TLJ, that’s fine, I can’t see why. This all started though cause Surly said TLJ a “perfect movie” which is seriously a dog shit take. If you enjoyed it, fine, that’s different. But to act as if it has any merit is stupid.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby k_uger » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 am

I’m just a contrarian and everyone on this board dogpiling on TROS and fighting to have the coolest hippest take on why they thought it sucked would make me argue I favor of it even if I didn’t actually enjoy it

but yea - the sequel trilogy was the Obama presidency of film series... I thought I wanted it my whole life but it only let me down and nothing matters
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby RIXX » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 am

lol I don't think anyone is trying to earn points for a cool hip take in a STAR WARS thread. i think there is consensus hate for TROS here because, well, it's shit

i mean...the chewie fakeout death...rey palpatine...the sith dagger wayfinder...it's all so bad. none of our beloved new characters make any meaningful growth or payoff whatsoever. and i wanted to like the movie very badly!

RIXX

Postby virtuous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:07 am

I am.
virtuous

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 am

What if I told you both The Rise of Skywalker AND The Last Jedi were awful movies
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 am

Arguing which of the two was better is like trying to decide who is the nicer Koch brother
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby virile » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 am

lordofdiapers wrote:What if I told you both The Rise of Skywalker AND The Last Jedi were awful movies

i feel like i've already posted this a dozen times itt
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 am

Same bud, same

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby hbb » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:45 am

I like them both
hbb

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:47 am

And y'know what, that's just fine!

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby virile » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

you wouldn't believe the amount of awful stuff i love
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

lordofdiapers wrote:What if I told you both The Rise of Skywalker AND The Last Jedi were awful movies

This is what I am saying. I also think it is fine to like either one, or both, despite being terrible movies. But to declare either one good, or “perfect,” is a position you need to justify.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 am

Surls been calling TLJ perfect without explanation forever, let em have his fun

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby surly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 am

I will delete you pal
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 am

i like TFA and TLJ but TROS being so bad definitely has kinda soured me on the whole thing and i dunno how excited i'll be to rewatch em any time soon

mando tho
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 am

I gotta remember to watch season 1 of Mando again soon so I can appreciate it for what it was before it turns into the live action Clone Wars show

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby needanap » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:55 am

lordofdiapers wrote:I gotta remember to watch season 1 of Mando again soon so I can appreciate it for what it was before it turns into the live action Clone Wars show

:(

needanap

Postby surly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 am

What if it were live action tartakovsky clone wars tho
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Amblin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 am

It doesn’t take place in that era of the timeline surly

Amblin

Postby separator » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 am

THE DEAD SPEAK!

separator

Postby shacky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 pm

favreau having sole writing credit for 7 of the 8 eps is promising, hopefully he reined in nerdboy again

shacky

Postby virtuous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:49 pm

separator wrote:THE DEAD SPEAK!

lol
virtuous

Postby virtuous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Look at separator. Just shamelessly trying to earn hpn points. Disgusting.
virtuous

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:32 pm

k_uger wrote:but let’s not pretend that the entire sequel trilogy was anything but half baked remakes of each of the original trilogy

this is significantly more of an issue than any "lack of a plan from the beginning" or whatever. that and a culture of filmmaking that is largely driven by people who are obsessed with the idea of everything having an elaborate plan that pays off all of their fan theories and easter eggs.

TLJ feels disjointed from TFA but, among it's many strengths, it left the door wide open to all kinds of possibilities for a third act but no one at disney nor jj abrams had any ambitions beyond "star wars is so cool you guys remember star wars?" and so instead of running with any of these possibilities they retroactively invented the idea of "the skywalker saga" and made a half-assed series finale where everything that happens is just an excuse to remind you of something that happened in a previous movie.

like the problem with TROS isn't that it didn't "pay off" things from TFA it's that spends all it's time trying to "pay off" stuff or do callbacks or "honor the legacy of star wars" instead of just telling a fun story about magic space people fighting a civil war. the idea that shit has to have some elaborate master plan from the beginning is part of why it ended up sucking and TFA doesn't work that well on rewatch, because it spends 70% of it's running time setting stuff up rather than just telling some kind of fun story, and the stuff it's trying to set up doesn't even involve anything new, it just involves retroactively grafting a bunch of running plot threads onto the original trilogy.

because of the legacy of star wars, people don't really look at them as individual films as much anymore and a result of that is that people don't always acknowledge that a new hope is a remarkably standalone, self-contained film. i'm sure that nerds would obsess over lingering questions and stuff and i know the meta-mythology of george lucas supposedly having this whole masterplan behind the scenes, but there's really nothing in the film itself that begs for answers in a way that would make it wonderful even if there were never any sequels elaborating on any of it. and that's one of the reasons why it's so great. TFA's biggest flaw (among many) is that abrams is so obsessed with setting up big mythology questions that the movie is like 70% lingering threads, and part of what makes TLJ so good is that it cuts most of the threads to clear room for fun space stories with a new and really engaging cast of characters. TROS isn't bad because it's a movie made without a master plan, it's bad because it's both a movie made by and for people who are obsessed with the idea of master plans and because it's made by and for people who just want to see the original trilogy again so there becomes this pointless need to "tie up" nonexistent or uninteresting plot threads or to constantly have to connect every little thing that happens back to the OT even when it makes no sense.
Last edited by light rail coyote on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

light rail coyote

Postby Grey Poupon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:43 pm

THE DEAD SPEAK! is one of my fave scroll intros tbh
Mainly because it's evocative of many cool storylines none of which they actually bothered to tap
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby Viz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm

Hate that there’s a nerd subset of “master planners” who now try to find connecting threads in stuff like Pixar films or Tarantino, hoping to find that master narrative.
Viz

Postby k_uger » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 pm

RIXX wrote:lol I don't think anyone is trying to earn points for a cool hip take in a STAR WARS thread. i think there is consensus hate for TROS here because, well, it's shit

what’s even the point of disagreeing with people if you don’t reduce them to a straw man caricature?

I said I’m a contrarian by nature, it’s only natural
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 pm

the TLJ hate everywhere but here is much the same

I hate dumb pile ons
they/he
freedom isn’t free

k_uger

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....