crrrnavrrus thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Real Real Real » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Just got that 3 taste. If that enough for you people or do you want 6,7 8 more???

In the 15 minute wait area lady talking on speakerphone. Mods merge threads.

Real Real Real

Postby theta » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Average J wrote:I think I figured out the COVID protocols for what I have to do to travel as a dual citizen from the US (where I live) to Canada and back for a short trip. But who knows.

it's pcr within 72 hours to enter canada, they will check it when you check in for your flight

then rapid or pcr within 3 days to get back into the us, but they didn't even take my actual results just my affidavit that i'd been tested. they got that from me at customs
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.

gothical storm
theta

Postby theta » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:28 pm

you also have to put your info in the arrivecan app within 72 hours and save the confirmation code it gives you cuz they ask for that at customs entering canada
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.

gothical storm
theta

Postby Average J » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:43 pm

theta wrote:
Average J wrote:I think I figured out the COVID protocols for what I have to do to travel as a dual citizen from the US (where I live) to Canada and back for a short trip. But who knows.

it's pcr within 72 hours to enter canada, they will check it when you check in for your flight

then rapid or pcr within 3 days to get back into the us, but they didn't even take my actual results just my affidavit that i'd been tested. they got that from me at customs

Yeah, I think I've got that. But just to make sure I was within 72 hours I changed my outbound PCR to 4 pm on monday from 9 am monday (I leave on thursday). I feel like you have to balance out making sure you really give them enough time to get you results with it being close enough to flight time.

And for the return, the company that is doing my travel testing sold me on their "take it with you" re-entry test.

So I think I'm sorted. But it's just like, you know, unknown.
-----------------------
join the Time Team

Average J

Postby theta » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm

i feel like canada you want to make sure you're following stuff to a tee

the us i got extreme "do not give a shit" vibes from, unsurprisingly

gothical storm
theta

Postby theta » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 pm

it felt absurd to pay $250 cad for my airport rapid test because quebec is so stingy about testing only for us customs to reject me trying to give them the results and making me sign a shittily xeroxed one page form instead

gothical storm
theta

Postby RealKenny3 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Damn that many people have never had covid? I'm in the "had it before I could get vaccinated" we were being real good then my gfs work made her come back in even before the vaccine was out and we got it within weeks. Actually I was sick with it on xmas
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tsargaritaville » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Asymptomatic cases are estimated at around 30%, right? Tens of millions (hundreds maybe) have probably had it and just never known.

tsargaritaville

Postby jack » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:59 pm

my wife works in a hospital around covid patients all day every day and somehow neither of us got it (that we know of)

jack

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm

ugh I just had 4 people over to play dungeons and dragons

and as soon as they left my throat got hella sore and I got super achey.. was hard to differentiate from my normal sciatica / back pain when I was DMing, and my tonsils are always a little whacky, so I didn’t think anything of it when one was a little off

shitty position to be in, I let everyone know, we’re all vaxxed, but sucks
^that was hot nonsense and in no way endorse this post
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 pm

when my throat started getting sore I ordered a pizza, ate 3 slices and then took a break, and when I went back I couldn’t eat any more pizza, it was too painful

not the ideal health food, but a) my evil plan worked and b) damn that’s how quick I got sick

could still be strep, which is literally in everyone at all times, and I’ve always been susceptible to it… had scarlet fever once too, it was dope.
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:49 am

yea this is strep, I can tell

that’s a relief
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby coop » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 am

anybody else out there who would like a booster but don't meet the guidelines for those eligible for a booster? How do you tell if you're overweight? BMI? BMI seems a little flawed, tbh

coop

Postby Bornie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:56 am

I think if you show up for a booster you'll get one. Go smoke 20 cigarettes if you really want one.

Bornie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Bornie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:57 am

That is not medical advice btw

Bornie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby jack » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 am

you just need to self certify that you qualify. they couldn't verify most of that stuff even if they wanted to. "former smoker" with no further qualifications is one of the underlying conditions.

jack

Postby Celery Salt » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Can anyone help me with a convincing rebuttal that isn't emotional or insulting to this for a person refusing to get vaccinated?

1. It doesn't prevent you from getting COVID infection
2. It doesn't prevent you from spreading COVID
3. It may have long term impact on your immune system and does have short term risk for various side effects.
4. I don't trust the way it's being pushed and the whole situation makes me deeply suspicious so I don't want to feel forced to inject something that doesn't make sense to me.
5. I don't believe my not being vaccinated increases the risk for anyone around me so the only reason to get it is to potentially reduce the severity of symptoms for me only, if I get it and have a bad case.
6. Overall, I don't see how it's a negative risk for those around me, risk is to myself, and my personal risk assessment is to risk staying less protected vs unknown future risks.

Celery Salt

Postby tgk » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:35 pm

i guess i'd counter that it's killed 700,000 people in the US in under two years and millions upon millions globally, and that places that have high vax rates are seeing very low death totals.

tgk

Postby farmer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:36 pm

nah, celery salt, all that shit is just excuses and lies, so even if you knocked down every single point convincingly, and even if they actually listened and processed, you almost certainly wouldn't get through. imo just distance from or cut off someone that thinks that way.

farmer

Postby nosebleeds » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm

You're not going to convince them. Sorry.

nosebleeds

Postby tgk » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm

id also ask if they're needle-hesitant. I feel like a lot of people have anxiety about getting a shot but never say it out loud.

tgk

Postby Average J » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm

yeah, and while the conspiracy minded internet loves to speculate about possible long term issues with the vaccine there is irrefutable proof of actual long term issues with covid even if mortality is unlikely given your current health outlook. Not hard to find the "long covid" or heart-related issues stories.
-----------------------
join the Time Team

Average J

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Actually, you should insult them.

Shotfrog

Postby tgk » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm

yeah there's a survey that basically said the majority of those unvaxxed won't get the shot under any circumstances, no matter what. so ask this person, what would it take for you to get the shot? and they probably wont have an answer.

tgk

Postby Celery Salt » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Average J wrote:yeah, and while the conspiracy minded internet loves to speculate about possible long term issues with the vaccine there is irrefutable proof of actual long term issues with covid even if mortality is unlikely given your current health outlook. Not hard to find the "long covid" or heart-related issues stories.

This is a great point.

Cutting off and distancing are not options for me. I'm not trying to upset anyone. I was just hoping for something that I could argue back.

Celery Salt

Postby easy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Celery Salt wrote:4. I don't trust the way it's being pushed and the whole situation makes me deeply suspicious so I don't want to feel forced to inject something that doesn't make sense to me.

oh hey it's this rationale

easy wrote:the one sentiment I keep seeing over and over is "the pressure to get vaccinated makes me skeptical of it," which is, psychologically speaking, a pretty interesting phenomenon to turn over in your mind

easy
does it

Postby tgk » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 pm

seriously, instead of answering their questions, just ask them what would convince them to take it. see what they say to that.

tgk

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:51 pm

1. It does prevent most people from getting COVID, and for those that do get it your body is familiar with it already and combats it in the upper respiratory system, instead of deep in the lungs. The decreased risk of serious illness is significant.
2. It does lessen transmissibility to others.
3. Vaccines don’t have long term impacts on the immune system. Side effects are incredibly rare. Feeling light cold or flu like symptoms is your immune system reacting to the vaccine by producing antibodies like it should. It’s not a reaction to chemicals in the vaccine, it’s your immune system’s basic functioning, and is far more desirable than COVID.
4. Vaccines are a regular and expected part of living in a modern global society. We give a whole slate of them to infants before 18 months. It doesn’t give them autism or harm them in any way.
5. If you’re more likely to contract COVID without being vaccinated (which is incontrovertible) then you’re more likely to spread it to those around you. Therefore getting the vaccination means you’re less likely to contract it (even if you still CAN contract it ultimately) and assuredly less likely to spread it.
6. There are no future unknown risks. While mRNA vaccines are new technology, if you’re truly worried about that then get the J&J vaccine, which is an adenovirus vaccine, and those have a much longer history of use without any major problems. 2 people out of MILLIONS had a rare blood clot disorder. But well established medications such as Tylenol kills 4-500 people a year, and Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs kill possibly up to 3,000 people or more per year. COVID has killed over 700,000 Americans in the past year and a half alone, from infants to the elderly. Even looking at the healthy adult population, the risk is orders of magnitude higher by being unvaccinated. It’s certainly higher than the risk of “vaccine side effects” PLUS breakthrough COVID combined. It’s many times higher. Your perception of the risk simply does not align with reality.
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

Postby easy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:51 pm

tgk wrote:seriously, instead of answering their questions, just ask them what would convince them to take it. see what they say to that.

"more data"

easy
does it

Postby k3_and the sunshine band » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Average J wrote:yeah, and while the conspiracy minded internet loves to speculate about possible long term issues with the vaccine there is irrefutable proof of actual long term issues with covid even if mortality is unlikely given your current health outlook. Not hard to find the "long covid" or heart-related issues stories.

Google “shortened telomeres covid”

it’s one of the ways my brother in law came around

COVID can and does literally clip the ends of the DNA strands on your chromosomes, thus shortening your life span

mRNA may sound scary to the ignorant but it doesn’t involve your DNA or cell nucleus at all
they/them

k3_and the sunshine band

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone