thread for red state despair

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby clouds » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:46 pm

the book bounty hunting thing honestly seems like something we all would have made fun of in 2010 as paranoia.

they're trying to wear us all out and they are very good at it.

clouds

Postby sadville » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:58 pm

i at least can complain to my therapist about it, which a lot of my friends and colleagues either don't have time or $ for :(

i also will die on the hill of not censoring my books. i can probably get by on a technicality of ALL THIS SHIT COMES UP IN QUIZ BOWL (which…is true but also not why i have a million books in my classroom). i could be completely wrong, but i might be Important Enough and Have Won Enough Sports Games and Have Been On National Television to the point that maybe my take on things could make a difference. i'm probably a fool tho.
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby Alonso » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:18 pm

sadville wrote:
Alonso wrote:In the Tennessee General Assembly, the upper house s 82% GOP and the lower house is 76% GOP.

In 2020, the state was 60.5% Trump.

You just can't do anything to change the state level.

they took away nashville's house seat and now east nashville is represented by john fucking rose, whom i may be in a small room with next week and whom i may have to be held back from launching myself at, or i may have to hold back several of my students from launching themselves at him with serious intent to harm

john rose, whose wife is like 27 years old and whom he married when she was a junior in college, having known her for 5 years from FFA conventions, the very same FFA conventions that a lot of really great kids (students of mine) attend that i feel sick about knowing that these predatory fucks are there lurking

i recently inhereited like 40 acres and a mule in mississippi, where my mom is from, and i was talking to her about how i couldn't see myself living in mississippi, things are bad here but at least it's not mississippi, etc etc. she made the bold statement that mississippi is better politically than tennessee. i wasn't sure about it, but TN republicans are set for decades because of all of the political refugees fleeing COMMIEFORNIA who will just smash that republican ballot all the way down the line without ever caring to know the local context behind the elections or who the candidates are, that holden caulfield would HATE andy ogles, that state politics is more about owning the libs than helping people or children, that $16 million to build a school to relieve overcrowding might actually be beneficial to a community instead of the $100 million to build a bigass jail on the town square for 700 inmates when school overcrowding has had manifold negative externalities in the community which has included fatalities from car crashes caused by school traffic

the book burning committee came to my classroom a couple weeks ago to inventory my books. they said not to worry, it's just going on a list to be published on the school website. lolz. we live in hell.

It'll never happen of course but they should split Tennessee in three.

I live closer to Tulsa than I do Knoxville, where the flagship state university is. And even then, there's like an hour drive of Tennessee east of there.

Alonso

Postby clouds » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:31 pm

clouds

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Prior to 2000, Missouri wasn’t solid blue, but it was a swing state and had a reputation for almost always swinging the way of the eventual winning president. Not anymore. The democrat abandonment of the working class slammed the door on that, and stl/kc are not growing enough to offset the massive red rural vote. It’s basically a blood red southern state now politically.

inanimate object...alive!

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 pm

There’s not a single democrat that holds statewide office lol

inanimate object...alive!

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:09 pm

inanimate object...alive! wrote:There’s not a single democrat that holds statewide office lol

reversemigraine wrote:2010 Arkansas gubernatorial map:

Dems haven't won a single statewide election since.

And now we have Sarah.

reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:12 pm

The Arkansas legislature is about to pass a library criminalization law. A Republican representative spoke out against it last week and it was depressing to see so many librarians lighting up the state association listserv with We Stan bullshit, sending her flowers and what not, even though she's sponsored her fair share of anti-trans laws in recent years.

reversemigraine

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 pm

clouds wrote:the book bounty hunting thing honestly seems like something we all would have made fun of in 2010 as paranoia.

they're trying to wear us all out and they are very good at it.

Yeah. Their anger is omnipresent and all that matters to them. We breathe a sigh of relief when they don’t get everything and they just come back with something worse
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby sadville » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:58 pm

i'm so tired and burned out on living here. the brewery from the OP is permanently closed.

we forge political superstars in the irons of brazen injustice. raised fists for the justins, but i wish it didn't have to be that way. look at all these smirking white men:

Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Previous

Return to Aguachile Alley