programming thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby something sensible if » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:41 pm

i mean afaik nobody is watching me but it makes me nervous when i dont have the little green dot in slack lol. i've had it both ways and now i'm just trying to disappear into total useless obscurity at this gargantuan company. rip my career

something sensible if

Postby draw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:59 pm

tell us what company it is so we never accidentally work there

draw

Postby something sensible if » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:20 am

seems ive learned i dont have a good job. i'll take my corpo tips elsewhere!

something sensible if

Postby jca » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:43 am

I’m one of two devs and the other is moving from the UX team to the IT team. I think because he doesn’t like working with the designers and there’s always scopecreep but he said it was because devs should never work with designers. Is that true? My last two jobs have been on design and on Tech so I think it depends. We’re too small for a Tech team lol. Anyway now Im kind of forced to figure out if I go to IT for a potentially different role or stay with the designers and become the workhorse :/

jca

Postby Autarch » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:34 am

Devs should never work with designers? I disagree with that. I think working with designers is an important part of my job. Sharing feedback with each other is how we optimize our time. We talk with them about the possible approaches to a new feature or the UI tweaks that might be necessary for, say, improved error handling, and based on the discussion we make decisions where we try to optimize for both development time and user experience, because sometimes those two things can be at odds with each other.

I also work on a small team though. My team has never been more than 3 devs. And our company has never had more than 2 designers.

Autarch

Postby The Priest » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:39 am

I love working with good designers

My issue is ones who don't understand basic web design because they get pixel perfect about things that can never really work

I meet fewer and fewer of those as I progress though and find most designers open minded and competent prototyping in react and shit
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby Autarch » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:01 am

Yeah working with designers is one of my favorite parts of the job, because I love good design and, well, the (admittedly very few) designers I work with are generally good at what they do. Sometimes they really wow me with a subtle detail in a component they designed. Sometimes I’ll notice they missed a small but necessary detail, and I’ll point it out and offer a suggestion and it feels good when they take that into consideration and work it into the final design.

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:25 pm

Working with NestJS for the first time and holy shit I hate this. We only really need to create a relatively small service and this is just so over-engineered it's silly.

Autarch

Postby jph » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:27 pm

fellas i've been laid off. i left a cushy corporate gig for a startup and, 5 months in and 2 rounds of layoffs later, they got me

jph

Postby jph » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm

if your company is hiring hmu. i have a really good resume, am decent at leetcode, and am genuinely passionate about building (scalable, performant, ui friendly) software

jph

Postby The Priest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:32 pm

I've done a few interviews this week and it seems like a lot more companies eschewing leet code shit for longer project oriented tech tests

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 pm

I wish I'd been laid off my company ran out of money and told us out of nowhere.

My CEO is paying me a little in the meantime and I don't want to know where that's coming from because I found out we're three months behind on AWS bills

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 pm

I also wanted to go back to a bigger co but most are in hiring freezes and a lot of startups got big money in the early part of the year

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 pm

So I just need to prep for one day they'll just say uh oh out of money

The Priest

Postby draw » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:37 pm

Yeah if anyone reading this is at a startup that doesn't appear to be making money now's a good climate to start thinking about selling out

draw

Postby jph » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:39 pm

yeah the company wasn't profitable and was hemorrhaging cash after VCs stopped funding

jph

Postby draw » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:53 pm

i should've made a useless do-nothing AI startup when there was still infinite free money oh well see y'all in 15 years

draw

Postby draw » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:58 pm

chat bots. for humans.

draw

Postby The Priest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:09 pm

jph wrote:yeah the company wasn't profitable and was hemorrhaging cash after VCs stopped funding

I think that's the pulse at the moment

The Priest

Postby draw » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:45 pm

been a while since I revisited this guy https://aphyr.com/posts/341-hexing-the-technical-interview

draw

Postby draw » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:48 pm

might be too reddity for the board but I like it

draw

Postby bill » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:01 am

how many years did it take y'all to stop feeling like an idiot all the time? :awful:

bill

Postby draw » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am

Never

draw

Postby Marza » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 am

i think it depends a lot on the job and how complex the project is, how well-scoped the work is, how good your mentors are, etc.

my first job was a complex codebase but everything else was really good, so it took me about a year to feel like i was pulling my own weight. the work was also really repetitive, which helped.

but i still feel like a big idiot a lot of the time. there's so so so much to learn.

in what ways are you feeling it?

Marza

Postby regular ol' slokra » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 am

i would say it's taken me about a year in each of my past roles (ui automation, backend automation, full stack dev) to get comfortable

i don't expect to ever stop having programming make me feel like an idiot, however
;)

regular ol' slokra
Site Admin

Postby bill » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:29 am

Marza wrote:
in what ways are you feeling it?

Just the classic jr Dev imposter syndrome stuff I guess lol

I think I gotta keep reminding myself that I'm learning a new codebase and lots of new stuff!

I was previously working on the marketing website at my company which was like, a Gatsby project, lots of maintenance work and CSS tickets and such, but nothing super complicated

But I changed teams twice in the span of the last two months and am working on two new repos now and it's all lots of stuff I haven't encountered before

Decided to take a large ticket with like three things in it that I'd never had any working experience with before and got in a bit over my head lol. It took me like three weeks to finish (finished yesterday thank god!!! with much help from the senior I work with)

Anyway the sense of doom and gloom is gone now that this damn ticket is finished lmao

bill

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 am

I work in a rust shop now and I've never felt dumber

I have to use simulated annealing for a task next week and all I remember about that was two lectures in a supervised learning class a decade ago

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:16 am

The thing is still ultimately a web app but it's all graph based and the dudes that designed it used every complicated thing on earth in the most complicated way. Yet it's not really over engineered it's just big and takes time to understand.

As is the case these days a lot of the early customers are Blockchain companies (who got seed and A rounds shot from a canon this time last year.)

Anyway I get a minor bug to discover why an import isn't bringing in a field from rpc and just running down the chain from the API handler to where I'd expect the payload takes me half a day to find.

The next two days is tracing step by step, recompiling, authenticating, hitting the upload button and watching.

This is an established chain with official SDKs but they wrote their own. When I asked why I got an answer that kind of makes sense but wasn't a great answer. I don't like using a ton of dependencies but man I'm not rewriting crypto libraries.

The bug ended up being that the pascalCase implementation in the rust library didn't support retaining uppercase sequences so FBIFemaleBodyInspector becomes FbiFemaleBodyInspector whereas in the official library they use a flag (in typescript) to keep those sequences. The key is then sha256d into bytes then truncated to 8 to use as an a to lookup value.

It took me three days and my fix was two lines.

The Priest

Postby draw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:25 am

simple web app that isn't overengineered, but also needs simulated annealing for a feature and uses every most complicated thing on earth

we've all been there

draw

Postby bill » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 am

do the crypto bros actually have smth called FBIFemaleBodyInspector in their code lol?

bill

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley