fuck guns

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:13 pm

furrowed brow wrote:so many times people with guns are in more danger than if they didn't have one. because as soon as you have a gun that means someone can try to take it from you, and the implicit threat of you having one may make them try and take it out of insecurity that you'll use it on them even if you have no intention of doing and they would otherwise not try to attack you at all.

Saw this awful vid of a guy being shot dead in some dumb custody dispute with his ex and her boyfriend. Situation totally escalated once bf went inside and got his gun, ex-husband now felt threatened, went to rip it from bf's hands and died trying bc bf now felt threatened that he could have his gun taken away and used on him. Guns don't make people safer.

yea the justification that having a gun means anyone who’s mad at you can be treated like they’re holding a gun too because they could potentially take yours

so goddamn fucked, it gives teachers license to shoot students
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm

hiddenemblem wrote:Students won’t even have to try to sneak guns in, can just grab their teachers gun from their purse/desk when they want to.

Idiocracy irl. Most dangerous schools in amurica baybee.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Bartatua » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm

the last uni i taught at students could legally carry

loved wondering if some kid was going to shoot me every day
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:21 pm

if i see a gun on anyone at any time i just want to leave the area

thank god florida isn't open carry, somehow
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby farmer » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:22 pm

all the principles of what makes guns safer (other than complete removal) like trigger locks, separating ammo and weapon, gun safe, etc, also makes them harder to quickly fire. which is the point of the safety measures but also defeats the purpose of having a gun to defend against active shooters or whatever.

there's no way to have a gun both hard enough to access incorrectly/unintentionally/whatever to where that accessibility makes you net safer in the long run and easy enough to access to stop a mass shooter. like, even if there was anything to the idea that you can defend yourself effectively with a gun in the first place, which there really isn't.

stats show having a gun in your house is fundamentally more deadly for you and your family than not having a gun.

farmer

Postby farmer » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:24 pm

mcwop23 wrote:if i see a gun on anyone at any time i just want to leave the area

tennessee is now open carry, concealed carry, whatever you want, no licensing whatsoever required, anyone can do it. i think children can't though but that's the only restriction. love it.

farmer

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Bartatua wrote:the last uni i taught at students could legally carry

loved wondering if some kid was going to shoot me every day

you simply haven't lived until you've felt the rush of telling a classmate their interpretation of "The Dead" is rote pedantry while you've got heat on your hip.
furrowed brow

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:29 pm

farmer wrote:
mcwop23 wrote:if i see a gun on anyone at any time i just want to leave the area

tennessee is now open carry, concealed carry, whatever you want, no licensing whatsoever required, anyone can do it. i think children can't though but that's the only restriction. love it.

Technically you can't make living any more dangerous than this. Galaxy brain solution to mass shootings if you ask me. They could never get that much worse.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:53 pm

farmer wrote:

believe it or not Vermont is too, always has been
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby garbiel » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:54 pm

It’s neat in a morbid way that civilians actually have easier and more direct access to firearms than the troops like imagine going to a base and asking the armory to have every person on site armed at all times
Low Tier God wrote:it's impossible to be a leftist as an american. maoist third worldism is the only way.

garbiel

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:56 pm

something something if they were something something dominate the military
furrowed brow

Postby bruce_ » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:04 pm

you've got a much better chance of killing someone with small arms as a civilian than as a grunt tbf
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruce_

Postby bruce_ » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:07 pm

what is that apocryphal figure for rounds per insurgent killed in afghanistan, 300,000?
and they're almost invariably vaporised by air support or artillery anyway
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruce_

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:15 pm

if the taliban had worn tuxes and wedding dresses it would have been 1:1

Bisexual Lightning

Postby joe » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:51 pm

joe

Postby endoskeleton » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:25 pm

you think we could ever get enough gun nuts to go airsoft that real gun restrictions might happen? maybe even practical abolishing? i don't know that there's convincing some owners but i'm daydreaming again and was thinking however they might use it as a smokescreen to distract from their hostile stand your ground leanings that target shooting/the fun of shooting a gun for sport must still be a big component of gun ownership for people. i understand that as someone who enjoys shooting guns in a video game/went paintballing once and also as someone who is terrified of guns in real life and could never own one but it is undeniably drawn to them as aesthetic creations, "tools" (i use this very loosely re: target shooting) and cultural artifacts

and i wonder if somehow airsoft could be enough for those owners whose main draw is the target shooting and the aesthetics. and let's say these people think airsoft isn't a good enough equivalent, it doesn't give them that visceral thrill or power fantasy, could airsoft be made a better simulation of shooting a real gun while maintaining its safety?

feel free to mock these dumb malcolm gladwell thoughts for what they are but i can dream

endoskeleton

Postby farmer » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:00 pm

our state's response to this has been to kick out the state reps protesting against this shooting. literally just expelled the first one, justin jones, from congress. two more likely to follow.

this is awful.

farmer

Postby KPH » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Classic Tennessee.

Otoh…I went to a few rallies/marches Justin was at/lead in 2020 and have followed him on twitter for years, they think this is gonna shut him up? Lol.

KPH

Postby frank » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:57 pm

farmer wrote:

I was recently informed this is called “constitutional carry”. Never heard that one.

frank

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:11 pm

this tennessee stuff is bonkers

shizaam

Postby hoopdog » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:12 pm

Yeah I was astonished to see them going to those lengths. Awful shit.

hoopdog
ride.

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:15 pm

endoskeleton wrote:you think we could ever get enough gun nuts to go airsoft that real gun restrictions might happen? maybe even practical abolishing? i don't know that there's convincing some owners but i'm daydreaming again and was thinking however they might use it as a smokescreen to distract from their hostile stand your ground leanings that target shooting/the fun of shooting a gun for sport must still be a big component of gun ownership for people. i understand that as someone who enjoys shooting guns in a video game/went paintballing once and also as someone who is terrified of guns in real life and could never own one but it is undeniably drawn to them as aesthetic creations, "tools" (i use this very loosely re: target shooting) and cultural artifacts

and i wonder if somehow airsoft could be enough for those owners whose main draw is the target shooting and the aesthetics. and let's say these people think airsoft isn't a good enough equivalent, it doesn't give them that visceral thrill or power fantasy, could airsoft be made a better simulation of shooting a real gun while maintaining its safety?

feel free to mock these dumb malcolm gladwell thoughts for what they are but i can dream

as someone who grew up in rural gun country and spent most of college around suburban gun people, the answer to this is obviously no because all of those people already have both real guns and airsoft guns

light rail coyote

Postby joe » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:57 pm

wait in tennessee the local city council is able to appoint the replacement?

good that they will reappoint him but what a fucking mess of a country

joe

Postby This Guy » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:44 pm

Politically, they have Obi-Waned them.

This Guy

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:11 pm

Wild

shizaam

Postby joe » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:16 pm

with dog whistles that loud, who needs a bullhorn?

joe

Postby frank » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Pretty dire news day.

frank

Postby farmer » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:23 pm

i am so fucking livid right now

farmer

Postby farmer » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:25 pm

joe wrote:wait in tennessee the local city council is able to appoint the replacement?

good that they will reappoint him but what a fucking mess of a country

my tennessee lawyer friends and i have been discussing that today. apparently, replacements (usually in the case of death of the member) are replaced by the county of their residence. like, where the member themselves lives, even if their district spills over into other counties. for nashville the county and city are the same so it's metro that gets to pick there. i don't believe shelby county/memphis has a similar structure, so i think pearson's replacement gets picked by shelby county tier officials.

farmer

Postby qwerty » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:30 pm

What a big fucking mess

qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley