i couldnt find the LA thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby bloodlines » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

hologram wrote:God I can’t imagine wanting to move here right now lmao

im moving back this weekend lol

but im also from socal otherwise hell no

bloodlines

Postby animefilm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Is Sierra Madre a quaint old timey western town in the foothills? Is it just filled with crotchety elderly people? I have an art friend that moved there and was curious if anyone has visited there.

https://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hp-neighborhood-spotlight-sierra-madre-20180421-story.html

animefilm

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm

I live 3 miles from there. Just take a less than 2 mile walk along Sierra madre blvd from michilinda to Baldwin then go up Baldwin for a block and that's pretty much it. Nice houses if you're rich. It used to be like Pleasantville but not as much now. Near hiking trails and Pasadena/Arcadia.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Barthes Starr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:43 am

hrc endorsing ryu is so insane lol

Barthes Starr

Postby joe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:02 pm

i had a dream last night that immediately after hrc endorsed ryu, nithya was declared winner by 20 poinst

joe

Postby Barthes Starr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm

joe, that wasn’t a dream

Barthes Starr

Postby sleigh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 am

there are infinite los angeli

choose a better reality
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 am

also, just fwiw, re: 22 -- the polling is closer than you'd think!

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/4cd2r446 had it at 39pct for, 32 against, with 39% undecided, with the largest crosstab of undecideds being "somewhat liberal"s (as opposed to moderates or verys) at 31%. i'm biting a lot from a friend of mine's analysis here, but his point is that this is gonna be closer than people think and it's gonna come down to earned media. MY point is tell your friends and tell your friends to tell their friends, because this is one where where word of mouth goes a lot further than typical for these things: a lot of people are gonna vote yes and then immediately regret it, so really like, just post a bunch of fuckin memes about it, make personal appeal posts, just make sure everybody that knows you knows the move is a hard, emphatic no on 22. emphasizing the 7/8ths portion of it & how much these companies that everyone knows are evil are spending is a great way to reach people who might otherwise be susceptible to the "maybe the drivers actually like being underpaid and not having rights" argument. i think it was alissa walker of la podcast said a better line of messaging than the one that's been put out by the no campaign is "we're not gonna let these fuckin companies tell us what to do" or something like that

but yeah tell your friends and tell your friends to tell their friends

the hellmouth 22 passage would open is one we just cannot live in
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 am

which is i guess to say:

there are infinite californii

choose a better reality
sleigh
ok

Postby joe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 am

anyone have any deeper insights about the dialysis initiative? i feel like i'm missing something. the profit one made more sense to me

joe

Postby sleigh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:34 am

not personally but. https://anchor.fm/thelandpod/episodes/You-Cant-Have-Freedom--the-Computer-Said-No-el9gvf // the 23 section goes into some detail i had been previously unaware of, timestamps in the description

in fact -- the friend whose analysis i ripped off above, this is him, and this is where i heard that particular bit

like i was anti 22 but a) it hadn't really hit sunk in with what the long-term effects of its passage would be in terms of signaling to well-capped companies what they can do re: labor protections in states with statewide props and b) i was pretty resigned to its passage -- knowing it's closer than i would've guessed is wildly motivating for me.
sleigh
ok

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 pm

just phone banked for the first time ever against 22.

I talked to a 102 year old woman!

I don't think she understood me at all and hung upToggle Spoiler
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Probably barely 74
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:37 pm

wth
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:42 pm

you have any idea the great lengths it would take for someone over 90 to even make it to a telephone

in other news, I'm enjoying being slightly cold for the first time in a long time this week
Last edited by Brouhaha on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:57 pm

i'm more interested in what it would take to get 'em to the ballot box ;)
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby sleigh » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:30 pm

(hillary clinton voice) im trying to tell them that this election DEPENDS on them
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 pm

lmao it just hit me how far you'd have to back up to have a conversation about prop 22 with a 100+ year old
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 am

sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 am

let's say HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING you had two men using a women's advocacy group for their own political advancement. which of the two would you say is more repugnant: the man who assumed control of the group and pilots it primarily as a useful vehicle for his own ambition, or the man he, in doing so, provides its endorsement to, who is very directly using the org's endorsement as a smokescreen for his refusal to provide any sort of clarity around his rape arrest?
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:54 pm

sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:33 pm

had some fuckin awesome donuts here, i think they have vegan options too. recommended
sleigh
ok

Postby joe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:41 pm

death is my amigo wrote:let's say HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING you had two men using a women's advocacy group for their own political advancement. which of the two would you say is more repugnant: the man who assumed control of the group and pilots it primarily as a useful vehicle for his own ambition, or the man he, in doing so, provides its endorsement to, who is very directly using the org's endorsement as a smokescreen for his refusal to provide any sort of clarity around his rape arrest?

i think the man who assumed control, even if ryu is the shittier person overall

joe

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:23 am

crazy how everyone misunderstood this proposition
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby auspice » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:41 am

proposition results so far are pretty disappointing

love living in a super blue state where more people side with Uber than its employees :evil:
We can't stop here -- this is Night Country!

auspice

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:56 am

driving for various apps was my main gig for a good while, it's shitty either way but many drivers would've had their contracts terminated and being classified as an employee by these companies would've made things difficult for a lot of us as they'd get to dictate where/when/how we work

unfortunately, being able to pick our own hours means too much to us and they used that to get out of giving us the same kind of things an actual employee gets like overtime hours, holiday pay, paid time off, etc
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:59 am

Brouhaha wrote:they'd get to dictate where/when/how we work

this is not actually true. uber et al made the decision to build their campaign (and existentially stake their business model) around a false dichotomy: give us an exemption or our hands will be tied and we’ll simply have no other option than to dictate where/when/how our workforce operates. in actuality, they already dictate where/when/how their workforce operates, as illustrated by the countless studies that have examined worker control and autonomy in gig work. flexibility and security are not mutually exclusive, despite what the platforms want workers, consumers, and legislators to think.

Barthes Starr

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:10 am

I never did rideshare. I did delivery work and could pick what area I wanted to work at any time and could also reject any order I didn't want to take
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby futurist » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:44 am

what cemeteries are easy to get into at night

futurist

Postby sleigh » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:47 am

lakers
dodgers
nithya
sleigh
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley